Sunday, June 28, 2009

More Fun, Friends & Good News

First off, more good news. My West Houston chapter mate, Sarah Andre, just signed with an agent. WTG, Sarah!

So it's been a few days since I promised to blog again after announcing my first sale, but it's been party central at Chez Dreiling - actually at various restaurants & friends' houses. What can I say except it's been a blast ... and well, this isn't a surprise to anyone who knows me. After all, I once inadvertently started a party with complete strangers on a plane (the flight attendants bemoaned they were on duty because they wanted to join the fun). Another time, I went to Georgia RWA's Moonlight & Magnolia conference all by myself (I was a Maggie finalist). I lasted as far as the hotel shuttle bus where I met two new best friends. I just don't know a stranger.

Where the RWA conference is concerned, however, you don't have to be an extreme extrovert like moi. The cool thing about writing conferences is that we all have the same thing in common. It's so easy to start up a conversation with anyone - where are you from? what do you write? Honestly, I think RWA writers are the friendliest bunch of folks I've ever met. And while my cyber buddies & I have arranged meet-ups, I fully intend to make new buddies, too. So if you see me (I look like my photo), stop & say hi - and join me if you have time.

If you're going to DC, don't just hang out solely with your roomies or chapter mates. At the luncheons, sit with a group you don't know. Heather MacAllister suggested this to me years ago, and boy, do I thank her for it. You wouldn't believe the cool people I've met at the luncheons. And if you're at the bar or one of the hotel restaurants & see a writer alone, invite her to join your group.

Sure we go to conference for the workshops, agent/editor appointments, publisher spotlights, etc. But if you were to ask me what I remember the most from previous RWA conferences, I would tell you about all the friends I've met & often see at conference every year. See you in DC!

2 comments:

Playground Monitor said...

Someone used your advice at my first conference and invited me to join her at her table for the conference luncheon. Ever since, Silhouette author Susan Crosby and I have been fast friends. I'm excited about DC but panicky too. My leg's been in a cast since June 2 and the cast comes off 3 days before I leave for DC. I have to get a pedicure, an ankle brace and probably learn to walk again. Oh yeah, and I really need to start working on a packing list.

Congrats again!

Marilyn

Man Candy Fans said...

Marilyn,

Aaack on the cast! On the bright side, you don't have to go to conference with it! And you're going to work on the packing list now??? Well, I guess it's probably not a bad idea to see what you might need to buy... Uh-oh, I'm feeling shopaholic twitches again ... No, No, No - LOL!