Thursday, February 26, 2009

Funny Friday Bunny Style


My pet rabbit, Buttercup, has her own bedroom complete with a cardboard cottage. In the photo at the right, you can admire her remodeling efforts. Lovely picture window, isn't it?

She's also remodeled my carpet, but that's a sore subject at Chez Dreiling.

How I came to be a proud bunny slave is a bizarre tale (like most of my life). Five years ago, my daughter's high school boyfriend decided she needed a pet. When Amber kept begging me to let her have a rabbit, I made the classic parental mistake and said, "I'll think about it." Which Amber translated into "Yes!"

I had no idea what I was getting into when Buttercup came into our lives at 8 weeks of age. Suffice it to say, she got sick within two weeks. Very sick. So I found a vet. Not just any vet. An exotic vet. Yes, rabbits require specialized care. In addition to getting her well, I had to have her spayed, even though she had no boyfriends living with her. Why? Because female rabbits who are not spayed stand an 80% chance of developing cancer.

When I told my work colleagues what I'd spent at the vet, they concluded I was nuts. Buttercup became known as the $1000 rabbit.

Meanwhile, my daughter and the boyfriend had a parting of ways - and a custody battle over Buttercup. Needless to say, we, er, won.

About the time I thought I had Buttercup's care down to a science, she developed the rabbit equivalent of anorexia. Her wonderful vet tried to prepare me for the worst. I left the office, fearing she would die. Later that afternoon when I returned to the veterinary hospital, the gentle vet walked out with his thumb up. I broke down and cried.

I love our little fur kid even though she doesn't like to be held. That's because rabbits are prey animals and get scared easily. She's very fragile. We have to be careful when we do pick her up, so she doesn't jump suddenly and break her back. Every year, I have to take her in for dental work to file down sharp edges on her teeth - to prevent her from cutting her tongue. She uses a litter box just like a cat, but I have to use dust-free, pine-free litter to keep from damaging her lungs. Did I mention the 25 pound bags of hay? I'm a very good customer of the Oxbow Hay Company.

But every morning when it's time for her breakfast, she scampers around my feet for that one tablespoon of pellets and fresh hay. And every morning, I melt.

Because of the specialized care required for bunnies, they're not recommended for small children. If you'd like more information on house rabbit care, go to the House Rabbit Society: http://www.rabbit.org/

Here's a link to a great You Tube Video of Super Bunnies! http://tinyurl.com/2oompj

TGIF!
Vicky



4 comments:

PatriciaKay.com said...

Buttercup is gorgeous!
Pat

Man Candy Fans said...

Thanks, Pat. Love her bunches, except for when she decides to dig up the carpet. Yikes!

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

What a cutie! And how funny that there was a big white lop in a dream I had last night!

Who's your vet? We use Dr. Jordan at Animal Avian in the village.

Did you want me to include Buttercup in the "Bunnies That Rock" video? If so, let me know if you have a picture you prefer.

The video will be kind of like those book trailers all the indie writers are doing these days. It will be a combination of still photos, purchased concert footage, and music. Some bunny owners have sent PhotoShopped pics of their bunnies with guitars and such, but it's not necessary. Any favorite photo will do, and Buttercup will get listed in the credits.

Man Candy Fans said...

Hi, Bunnygirl,

Our vet is Dr. Roy Cruzan - Steeplechase. Their bldg got damaged so they're bunking w/another vet temporarily. I've love to send a photo of Buttercup! Email me details:
vickydreiling@sbcglobal.net

I'm on Twitter - will look for you if you're there.